Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fun with Rejection

    Today marks the day when I have applied for 103 jobs and been hired by only one. I guess you only need one, unless it happens to be temporary one for a whopping eight weeks. Then you definitely need a second. This has been a problem because, so far, 102 potential jobs have said, “No way José.” This body of empirical rejection, which has been growing steadily under my vigilant observation, sits organized by date and employer in an Excel spreadsheet. I find Excel best helps me to understand how my rejection has grown over time and predict how I might be rejected in the future. I’m prepared to submit the data to Washington State Unemployment should they ever get suspicious as to why a competent human being is still asking them to support her life of leisure after an unmentionable amount of time. Clearly I’m conducting an important psychological study and can’t be bothered with things like earning a living.

            In case you have an insatiable desire to know, I hate getting unemployment. Someone suggested I try to think of it as getting paid to do things like go to the gym, bake cookies, and clean my house, but that doesn’t help. First of all, if I actually were getting paid to do those things it would suck the sense of accomplishment clean out of them, and secondly, the only reason I’m getting paid to do those things (in a sense) is because I can’t seem to convince anyone to pay me to do anything else. This messes considerably with my essential belief that I have a respectable brain and that the $100,000 I spent on it in college wasn’t a hilarious joke that my alma-mater is now laughing about over expensive idiot-funded champagne.

            My job search has been peppered with glimmers of hope in the form of interviews. I’ve had zillions of phone interviews, in-person interviews, and even second interviews. It must be that I had something stuck in my teeth during every single one, because I have this idea that I interview well, and that I don’t sound, at least to me, like a bumbling idiot during my conversations with potential employers. I guess that’s a matter of opinion and less of a scientific fact. Granted, some of the jobs I’ve gone for have been a bit of a long shot, but certainly not all of them. Some of them I’ve felt I was excellently qualified for and thought, certainly, this is the perfect fit that God has planned for me, which of course explains my inexplicable failure to land any of the previous ones. Still others I’ve thought, well, this is certainly a step down and they’ll be grateful to have a chance at my greatness. It’s really an ego-killer after you get denied from a few jobs where you thought you were the one lowering your standards. Ouch.

            So what is the point? What is God teaching me through all of this? I’m open to suggestions, because I have no idea. I don’t think I had a problem with pride (though after that statement I’m questioning that statement) but this would definitely be a good cure if I had. Having to tell my husband, who thinks I’m about 100 times more qualified than I am, again and again that the job we were hoping I’d land didn’t call back is more gut-wrenching every time. I get tired of the feeling that I’m stringing people along by trying to look on the bright side and telling them I have promising interviews in the works. I do have promising interviews in the works, but I wonder if people question my ability to be realistic if these “promising” interviews have, for months now, all come to nothing.

            I wanted to write this just as a bit of catharsis. There’s nothing I can do but keep on going, just like many other job-seekers. My situation is certainly not something to complain about when I consider how blessed I am in the grand scheme of things, so my goal is not to whine like a baby. (The four previous paragraphs excepted, of course). I will find a job eventually. And then, when I’m the Director of Super Corporation making one gorgonzillion dollars a year with a company car, all this will be a big laugh. And maybe that will happen with job number 104.

            All the best to you, friends!

            -Katie

           

4 comments:

  1. Dear Inky Wrist,

    Whether the interview was the long-shot or felt like the easy-shot; you are so capable of presenting a candidate who will work hard with diligence, intelligence and even curiosity to make the job yield more than they're asking for. So, it in my estimation it is just about time for you to not interview with folks who are: blind, can't hear and do not know how to add. (ie - A: great candidate + B: available job = hired). Well, that is my little attempt at some encouragement & humor.

    I also appreciate His Word for my pathways that include wondering and pondering. Psalm 39:7 is the cry, "And now O Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You." And this verse led me at a time when I was out of work for about 8 months, Nehemiah 4:6, "So we built the wall, and the entire wall was joined together up to 1/2 it's height, for the people had a mind to work." --- I began to ask Lord for Him to put me into a new church staff where I would discover the usefulness of my "changed/renewed self" in the waiting and be teamed with like minded people where there would be UNITY and "a mind to work."

    Katie - you have a "mind to work" a determination. I appreciate you sharing a reflection of the journey in this blog post. Keep on with the keeping on. This has been a tough one. I care. I feel the ugh with you. I'm a friend to say, "Go girl, GO!!! too :)"

    Love you,
    PLS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear those people in Washington aren't appreciating the goodness they have interviewing at their fine establishments! They would be lucky to have you. I wish I could tell you something profound about what God might be teaching you, but I've got nothin. I do hope that you grow in peace about the situation and enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can there be so many stupid employers in Washington? Incredible! ;)
    On another note I loved the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's still true that those potential employers would be lucky to have you, even after they've not hired you.

    also i'm still loving your blog.

    ReplyDelete